Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hi my name is Karen and I'm an Addict

I have come to a harsh realization, I am a sugar addict.  I know, I know you all are like duh!
But really I didn't think I had a problem!  At the beginning of this journey I thought the only problem I had was with the sugars that were sneakily added to foods and I would have no problem with giving up sugary deserts and snacks because I rarely ate them.  Wrong!!

I guess I was a bit delusional about my regular diet and to be honest I would blame a lot of my sugar eating habits on the boy.  I thought the only time I would have a sugary treat or desert would be when he had one.  I would just go with the flow when he was home (because a lot of the time he is gone on military exercises) and it was only every once in a while. 

Now that I am entering into my 3rd week of this new world of being "sugar aware" I have hit a wall.  While writing down my habits I almost burst into tears, it took me about 2 weeks to complete this list because it was a harsh reality to face.  I eat a lot of sugar and the obvious kind.  This past week I started to go through withdraw and it was not pretty, all I could see was cake, soda, and juice everywhere and I wanted to gobble it all up.  I was very moody and the poor boy caught the brunt of it.  That when it hit me, I'm an addict and this is damn hard.

Thoughts ran through my head mostly along the lines of wishing I was blissfully ignorant of how sugar effects the boy and I could go on my sugary way.  These thoughts and temptations soon past as does everything and here I remain with a better understanding of myself and what I need to avoid in future to be successful.  The boy has recovered as well and is trying his best to not be an enabler in my battle to kick this addiction. 

One positive note though, on the weekend I ran in the Run for Fun which is a 10km.  I have never ran in a race, I have walked with groups but I have never taken it seriously.  This time I was excited to get out and run and try to reach the end of the race without keeling over.  I finished in 1 hour in 20 minutes and I felt great!  Before this leap into the world of "sugar awareness" I would never attempt something like this.  But I found the desire to do the run and not for losing weight but because I enjoyed it and can't wait to sign up to the next one!

1 comment:

  1. Karen I'm loving your blog, and I must admit I think I'm addicted too! I think I may be about ready to try this out for myself....it's gotten so bad Blake has to hide candy bars around the house and doles them out to me so I don't eat them all at once! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete