Sunday, October 24, 2010

Why do it?

So why do it?

To be honest it started with vanity.  About a year from now I will be getting on a plane and heading back to the US to get married to my lovely Aussie fiancee and well I want to look damn good.  But over the last few years I have consistently put on weight regardless of my exercise schedule (which varied depending on what my life would allow) and it was starting to worry me.  As a kid and teenager I was full of energy and was up for anything you threw at me.  As I have moved into my late 20s my motivation seems to be decreasing and I don't have the same zest for life or body for that matter.  This coupled with my recent unemployment has made me take a hard look at myself and how I treat my body.

A few days ago I was wondering through a book shop, the "Sweet Poison" caught my eye so I picked it up to have a look.  An hour later I was standing in the same spot about a quarter through the book thinking to myself I better buy this before the shop attendents kick me out.  Over the next day or so I poured over the book and it just made sense. 

Now let me just state I am not one of those people who goes from one diet craze to the next and binge eat in between.  I consider myself fairly normal person who eats regular food in regular quanties and exercises as regularly as possible, but the weight still comes on.

David Gillespie is no genius, but a man who realized he had a weight issue and was tired of people telling him what to do to lose weight and it not working.  He took an intelligent approach and looked at what we as a people eat and how that is broken down through out the body.  After sifting through hundreds of papers and taking a crash course in biochemistry he came to the conclusion that many other scientist already had: it's sugar, fructose to be exact.  Fructose contains a high level of "energy" that is easily stored in the body as fat cells and we have no appetite control for it.  As a scientist myself I felt like kicking myself because this was basic cell biology that was a course I aced in college. 

Now it all make a bit more sense but the scary part is how this sugar can effect our bodies and the fatal conditions that occur when it is unregulated.  This is what woke me up and as much as I want my butt to look good on my wedding day, having a healthy heart and other vital organs to spend the rest of my life with my future hubby is more important.

By no means am I doing this cold turkey like I said in my previous post this is a journey and well an adventure into the world of food with out sugar or rather too much sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment